I’m fine. Doing good.
1. Portland State University is really good. VLSI field is very nice here.
2. The faculty members are helpful and very experienced. They do have real time industry projects to work on, which is very good platform to build our career.
3. Scholarships and financial aid are limited and you need to be really good in all areas to get that. You may get the funding in 3rd or 4th quarter of your masters degree when some professor really knows you.
4. Part time jobs are easy to get. All you need is good communication skills and need to be aware of things around you. Yes I do have part time job.
5. Job opportunities are available at this moment. The advantage of PSU is that, here many companies are located nearby,like Intel, Micron, Synopsys, and some academic courses are designed by Intel itself so, yes chances of getting full-time job are good.
In other experience, the important thing is weather, here in Portland it rains ( drizzles ) for almost 9 months of a year, foggy days instead of sunshine, which is little different for us. So be prepared accordingly.
Also if a student is having free time of 2-4 months before coming here, please ask him/her to learn C, C++, java or any other programming language. That really helps a lot to get on campus jobs and TA & RA.
I’m glad to hear from you. Do ask me if someone needs some help.
Thanks & Regards.